High Risk Work licensing and the Work Health and Safety Regulations

Need to update or renew your high risk work (HRW) licence? Contact your local work health and safety (WHS) regulator for advice.

While Safe Work Australia developed the model Work Health and Safety Regulations, work health and safety regulators look after the issuing and renewal of their own state and territory HRW licences.

Under the model WHS Regulations high risk work activities require a HRW licence. Some of these activities include the erection of scaffolding, the operation of certain types of cranes, forklifts, reach stackers and boom-type elevating work platforms, and performing dogging and rigging work.

While your HRW licence allows you to perform the high risk work anywhere in Australia, licensing arrangements and some requirements to perform high risk work may vary in each state and territory.

For further information, visit the Safe Work Australia website – www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au